In his speeches, during his election campaign, Imran Khan had promised that if his party PTI came to power he would establish a ‘Madina ki Riyasat’ in Pakistan.
Here is his Madine ki Riyasat :
(1) Imran said he would shoot himself rather than take loans. But his government has in one year taken 16 billion dollars loan from the IMF, which is a record since the creation of Pakistan in 1947, and which has made Pakistan more indebted than it has ever been before.
(2) He said he will create 10 million jobs. But unemployment and layoffs are at a record high. Millions of jobs in Pakistan have been lost since he came to power.
(3) He said he will build 5 million houses. But not one has been built, and many existing houses have collapsed.
(4) He said prices of foodstuffs, electricity, fuel, etc will go down, but they have skyrocketed.
(5) He promised the end of corruption, but since he gave PTI tickets to dubious ‘electables’ that was evidently a gimmick. Corruption continues in Pakistan.
(6) He promised that the Pakistan economy will improve, but in fact, it is sinking, one reason being his sacking of Atif Mian, the internationally renowned economist from the Pakistan Economic Advisory Council just because he was an Ahmadi. The Pakistani rupee has lost 35% of its value in one year.
(7) He promised democratic freedoms in Pakistan, but he has suppressed freedom of speech and of the media. Many political opponents e.g. Nawaz Sharif, Rana Sanaullah were imprisoned.
(8) He has given all kinds of economic concessions to the Chinese, who are today an imperialist power hungrily seeking markets and raw materials. The huge natural wealth of Balochistan -gold, copper, oil, gas, etc have been handed over on a platter to the Chinese, causing deep resentment among the Balochis, whose armed unit recently attacked the Karachi stock exchange.
(9) He promised first-class schools and hospitals for the people of Pakistan, but where are they?
(10) By ‘Madine ki Riyasat’ perhaps Imran Khan meant a welfare state. Is it a welfare state he has created or a hell? Is this the ‘Naya Pakistan’ he spoke of?
So it is time now for Pakistanis to ask Imran Khan ( now often called ‘ U-turn Khan ‘ ) what he meant by Madine ki Riyasat which he had promised? Was it ‘Iblis ki Riyasat’ which he has made Pakistan?
(The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author’s own and do not reflect the opinions or views of The Rational Daily.)