Many people have asked why I am helping stranded Kashmiris alone, why not other stranded people?
These are my reasons :
(1) I have been helping other stranded people also, though that has not been publicised.
(2) However, it is true I am doing more for stranded Kashmiris because being a Kashmiri myself I have a sentimental attachment to people of my ancestral home.
(3) Kashmiris have been to some extent alienated from India, and I wish them to feel that Indians are not hostile to them ( except a few ). This initiative will aid in national integration. Both Kashmiri Pandits and Kashmiri Muslims have suffered in the past, and now the time has come to bind up our wounds, and move ahead.
(4) Vivek Tankha and I, who started this initiative, are both Kashmiri Pandits, and we want Kashmiri Muslims to know Kashmiri Pandits are not hostile to Kashmiri Muslims, despite what happened in the past, and are in fact helping them in their hour of need.
5) We are intending to revive Chinar Foundation, an organisation seeking to unite all Kashmiris irrespective of religion under one umbrella ( like the huge Kashmiri Chinar tree which gives shade and comfort to all ). All Kashmiris share the same Sufi culture ( also known as Rishi culture ) which stands for tolerance, brotherhood, and compassion for all human beings irrespective of his/her religion, and we invite even non-Kashmiris who believe in this culture to join us. After the lockdown is over we intend to inaugurate the Chinar Foundation formally.